Friday, March 21, 2014

Life Lessons

    Another day, another week, another month, another year.... Time is what you make it. We go, too often, through life watching the time pass away, but we never see all of the life that we're throwing away. The hands are ticking as the days are passing by and we look back and wonder where did it all go? You have to grab your life by the hands and your heart by the string and turn the years, months, weeks and days back to where they became yours. Time is what you make of it so make it worth it.
    
    The words my mother always spoke to me, came racing through my mind; "Never give up. You have to keep going."
When I was younger, I had trouble concentrating. Every which way I turned, I would find myself daydreaming or attentive to everything I shouldn't have been paying attention to. I would find myself giving up and my mom would find herself telling me the same thing over and over again; "Never give up, you have to keep going."
   I struggled with this constantly and I still do. I would sit on my grandparents' couch while my mom tried to teach me my vowels and consonants. I would start to zone out and my mom would start snapping her fingers to catch my attention.
  "Megan!" She yelled. "Focus!"
The frustration overwhelmed me and I began to cry. I always felt like my mom never understood me. I desired to quit as much as the sun desires to shine.
  "Who cares about vowels and consonants anyway?" I exclaimed.
   My mother would glance at me. She said something that I hadn't heard her say before; "Giving up is the equivalent to defeat."
   In that moment, my mindset turned completely. I still had the struggle, but I learned to fight against this war raging in my mind.
   I realize now that I wouldn't be where I am today without my mother branding her intelligent words of wisdom into my skull.
   Never give up if you still have something to give.

   They say, "sticks and stones my break my bones, but words will never hurt me."
   From the age of seven to the age of sixteen, I was verbally and physically bullied. I felt as if the whole world around me was continually putting me down; ugly, fat, stupid, worthless. Those words emanated throughout my thoughts. I was the quiet girl sitting in the back of the class with very limited friends. I was labeled "the freak who never spoke". Kids would push me out of my chair and laugh at me. I came home with bruises on my sides trying to hide them from my parents.
It wasn't until later that I began to fend for myself. I began to regain my confidence and I started to feel satisfied with myself. I realized that an individual shouldn't determine my attitude or the way I feel about myself. I wished that I would have figured that out sooner because I can't go back in time and relive those years. All the time I have is right in front of me.

    In order for my dreams in life to become reality, I need not let others words keep me from achieving  my destiny.
    Sitting in a friends living room, we began to discuss my future.
   "I want to become a missionary nurse in Africa." I exclaimed. She gave me a strange look and began to make excuses for me not to go.
   "Megan, it could be dangerous. You could become sick." She proclaimed.
    In that moment I began to question whether or not I was making the right decision. I realized that no matter what she told me I had this feeling that it was the absolute right decision.
    Life is too short to fear what might be, take a chance.
  
    I used to wish the days away as if they were just items to throw away. I now realize that time is valuable.
   My grandma used to tell me, "Don't wish away your life because the next thing you know; it's gone." I wanted to grow up so much when I was young that I would pray for the day to end. I find that life is precious, and the time we wish away is now useless time spent. I am eighteen now and I wish I had my life back. It was something that I wish I had learned early on. I know I'm still young, but it's only a matter of time until I'm married and have kids of my own. We see the clock and watch the hands move like its a time warp.
    You will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment